Saturday, April 30, 2016

A Bittersweet Symphony

In the immortal words of Charles Dickens from his classic, A Tale of 2 Cities,


"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." 

That is how I feel about this cancer fight.  Until I had chemo and surgery, I have never experienced such agonizing physical pain nor emotional turmoil.  Yet on the other hand, I have never experienced such radiant joy nor unconditional love, as I've felt the strength of my family, friends, and community fighting with me.  I can relate to the words of the Book of Mormon prophet Alma, who says:

"there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains....on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy." (Alma 36:21)

Another ancient prophet, Nephi teaches that our very human nature and progression  demands that there be "opposition in all things."  Ups and downs are part of the natural course of life, but facing a life-threatening illness truly presents a stark dichotomy.  Just one of the many lessons I have learned from this experience is that we truly have to taste the bitter in life to savor the sweet. I love the symphonic melody to 90's one-hit wonder by The Verve,  "Bittersweet Symphony."


I can especially relate to the line: " I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now."

Because I have experienced a fair share of days accompanied by nausea, pain, and limitation, I absolutely rejoice in the days in which I have an appetite, energy, and can move around freely.  Today was a rather uneventful Saturday by most accounts. But I was able to get up early in the morning and actually jog the circle around my "Lake circle" neighborhood.



It was the first time in about 7 weeks that I could move around freely and feel the endorphins from a runner's high.    It was too overcast and windy to enjoy the outdoors, so the highlight of the day was going to Target as a family  and taking my girls to see "Kung Fu Panda."  Before bedtime, we laughed together as I told them about the silly parody songs I created as a child.  as there are so many evenings in which I have been too tired to engage with my girls, I truly treasure these simple, yet moments,

The Old Testament book of Ecclesiastes says it best:

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:  A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

Of course these words are put to the timeless classic tune by The Byrds:


Cheers to a wonderfully simple day!

4 comments:

  1. Ken and I love Bitter Sweet Symphony. I think I will always remember you now when we listen to it. Thank you for writing this. It is teaching me a lot. If you don't mind I would like share of this entry with my seminary kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Share any and all content from this blog if it helps!

      Delete
  2. The simplest days are always my favorite days. Less distractions and more of a chance to appreciate the beauty of raising a family. I'm glad you had a great day. There are many more to come! Love you Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, Shanna! Thanks for being a part of my journey!

      Delete