Sunday, April 17, 2016

Calling All Angels

Calling All You Angels


On Easter eve 3 weeks ago, I read the account of Christ's suffering in Luke 22.  Verse 43, which reads:  "And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him" was especially poignant to me. A few years ago, I had the opportunity to attend a Carl Bloch exhibit at the BYU art museum.  I love Bloch's portrayal of an angel strengthening Christ during His darkest hour:


Even though my suffering hasn't even been a fraction of what Christ suffered for all in the Garden of Gethsemane, A study of angels defines them as divine messengers [which God sends in special times of need] to bless His children, reassure them that heaven is always very close and that His help was always very near. I have often clung to the idea that angels, both earthly and heavenly, are lifting me through this cancer fight.

There are many fantastic songs about angels. such as  Sarah McLachlan's " Sarah McLachlan's In the Arms of an Angel and Robbie William's Angels which often run through my mind during my own pleas to be strengthened by angels.

My favorite angels song as of late is, "Calling All Angels" by Train, which recently resurfaced in the program "The Passion,"  which portrays a contemporary Christ, who sings this song as he pleads for strength to take upon himself the sins of the world.




A couple of months ago, as I was in the midst of chemo and anxiously awaiting my first surgery, I went to our LDS temple in La Jolla with Carl to ponder and pray.  OK, admittedly this picture wasn't from a couple months ago, but was taken a little over 12 years ago, on our engagement day.



As I was pondering and praying, I asked the Lord if He would just send me an angel, or some direct confirmation that the surgery would be successful, that I would be healed, and that all would be alright. As the song "Calling All Angels" expresses, I needed a sign that things were gonna look up!

I sat there in the temple, with my head inclined, waiting for my answer, or hopefully my angel to appear, but the only thing that filled my mind were the lyrics to the theme song to the 1986 BMX racing movie, "Rad" If you have ever seen the film, this nifty little clip might refresh your memory:



At first, I was somewhat disappointed.  What?! Rad????  That's all you got for me?  

But as I thought about the lame plot of the film and all those awesome BMX moves, all I could do was laugh.  I had to restrain myself from erupting out loud as the temple is a place of serene meditation.  I guess the Lord wants me to have a sense of humor about this, I concluded.

When I regained my composure, I remembered that faith, by definition, is a knowledge of things that are not seen, which are true.  I also remembered that I did have the witness of an angel, which came from my sweet 7-year-old daughter, Carleigh.

On a couple of occasions, she has said, "Mom, I know you're going to be OK."

"How do you know, Carleigh?" Carl and I have asked.

"Because as I was listening to Daddy give you a blessing, Heavenly Father told me," she answered.

The Book of Mormon prophet Alma teaches that the Lord "imparteth His word by angels unto men, yea, not only men but women also. Now this is not all; little children do have words given unto them many times, which confound the wise and the learned (Alma 32:23)."

I know that I could receive no greater witness than from the pure faith of a child.

In addition, throughout this fight,  I have received angelic help from family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances, and even strangers.  I love the following quote on angels from Elder Jeffery R. Holland of the LDS quorum of 12 apostles:


 "But when we speak of those who are instruments in the hands of God, we are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil.  Some of them we walk with and talk with - here, now and every day.. indeed Heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind."

Spencer W. Kimball taught, 


"God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom.”

 Through this trial, I have seen the angelic of countless good people on my behalf., My close friend Robin set up a meal train and members of the community, some of whom I hadn't met, signed up for meals for 4 consecutive months.  Neighbors and church members have taken my kids, given them rides, cleaned my house, sent care packages,  cards, and countless encouraging text messages.  Relatives, friends, acquaintances, and even strangers have provided generous donations so that our soaring medical bills haven't overwhelmed us. We have received all the help we have needed without even having to ask.

There have been countless gifts given, but here are a few just from this month.  I have received countless others since last August, and I hope to be able to document some of those too.


  • After a conversation with a friend about not having too many clothes that fit right, this came in the mail:


  • A group of Carl's co-workers all contributed these gifts to our family to let us know they cared about my surgery recovery.  There were art supplies and toys for the girls, a nice throw blanket for me, and an edible arrangement!
  • A sweet friend from Church not only brought over a lovely dinner, but a "Family Movie Night" package with the film, "The Princess Bride."


  • My fit camp girls whom I have worked out with the past several months all chipped in to give me a lovely care package, a beautiful hand-made purse, a T-shirt that says "Never Give Up," a bracelet with the colon cancer fighting symbol, skin care products,  magazines, and goodies.
  • Thank you to all my angels out there, who have not let a day go by without strengthening me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment